28 January 2013

April 26 2013 (October 2012)

October 2012:

12 weeks.  My second OBGYN appt (this time with a different doctor), went just as well as my first one, but it was decision time!  I had to decide what kind of first trimester screening (if any) that I wanted.  I decided that I wanted to do the more thorough one.  The one that would make me drive out to Minneapolis to get it done.  I was excited, but also nervous about that appointment.

What if my baby has special needs (specifically Down Syndrome)??  What if my child needed surgery right after birth?

All of these "What if...?" situations kept running through my mind, but I didn't know that much about genetics and how it all worked so I put my faith in the Genetic Counselor who was interviewing me and the Sonographer who took the pictures of my baby.

In the process of the Sonographer taking pictures of my baby, he kept pushing around my abdomen and asked me to move around to try to get baby to sit right.  But of coure, my little one wouldn't sit still for long or sit in the same position for long.  In order to get the pictures that he needed, the Sonographer had to take quick snaps.  He also made a comment that my baby had "beautiful anatomy".  How reassuring!

My baby was so tiny at this point, but you could count all of his little fingers and toes!  My LO even decided to give mommy a wave:



After a week of waiting on a call, I finally received one that informed me that the chances of my LO having any genetic defects or Down Syndrome was extremely unlikely!  Like, the lowest possible risk!  I was very happy to hear this news.  I also knew that he could still be born with something, but now I knew that science was on our side!

More to come....

With love,
Kjerstin L.

No comments:

Post a Comment