30 April 2013

April 26 2013 (April 2013)

April 2013:

40 weeks. Dang. I was really hoping that I wouldn't actually get to 40 weeks... At my 40-week appointment, my doctor and I came to the decision that we would try to strip my membranes, which sounds a lot more painful than it actually is. It was more uncomfortable than anything. My doctor let me know that 50% of women will go into labor within the first three days afterward. The rest of the day after having that happen, I had stronger contractions than I had ever had before, but they weren't getting progressively stronger or anything, so it wasn't time for his arrival.

Because his arrival didn't happen that week, I had to schedule an ultrasound to check him out (a BPP). The purpose of this ultrasound was to make sure that everything with my little one was going well. They checked out his heart, lungs, umbilical cord, placenta, etc. Everything looked good! Phew. No reason for an emergency induction or C-section.

Once again, we tried stripping my membranes. I really wanted to try to have my baby as naturally as possible. As had happened before, I got stronger contractions afterward, but nothing progressive. It sucked. We were so ready for his arrival, but baby had a mind of his own. He was making it clearer and clearer that no matter how prepared you were, you can never plan the arrival of a baby... Sorta.

Because of everything that had happened so far, my doctor and I decided that it would be a good idea to schedule an induction. Even if it turned out that I didn't need it, we wanted it on the books just in case. We scheduled it for when I would be exactly 41 weeks.

Then came the waiting game.. Would he be here before my induction?

With love,
Kjerstin L.

No comments:

Post a Comment