03 November 2012

Norms

There has been this fascinating thought that has been running through my mind for the last couple of days.
What are norms?  Why are they created?
I personally think that norms were created so that people can just break them.  I remember when I was younger, I listened to rap music. Rap music?!! Yes, I listened to rap, but I only did it because of the reaction of other people to it when I said it.  I didn't realize that I did this for years! In fact, I didn't realize it until recently.  Even now, I have to specifically think about why I like things. Do I like them because I like them or because it would throw people to find it out?

Now I know that the reason I like certain things is just because I do.  I challenge myself everyday to discover what I really enjoy. Now you go do the same.

"Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
They're what make the instrument stretch-what make you go beyond the norm."

Love,
Kjerstin L.

No comments:

Post a Comment